Bonsai w/ droopy leaves - Bonsai Tree Forum Bonsai Care
Bonsai Tree Forum Bonsai Care  

Welcome to the Bonsai Tree Forum Bonsai Care.

You are currently viewing our Bonsai Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and other features. By joining our Free Bonsai Tree community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely FREE.

So please, JOIN OUR BONSAI FORUM TODAY! (Plus, it'll remove this annoying message)!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   Bonsai Tree Forum Bonsai Care > Bonsai Forums > General Bonsai Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2009, 01:58 AM

Default Bonsai w/ droopy leaves

Can anyone please advise me on what to do w/ my poor bonsai? I came home the other day and noticed that all of her leaves were drooping, sagging, hanging down only, etc., something that has never happened before. Then today I noticed that the ends of the limbs are turning black, or dark. I have tried looking up possible problems or reasons for this but I have had no luck. Does anyone know what's wrong? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks. I also took some pictures but I don't know how to post them up here. I can email them if necessary.

Bonsai Care
Old 10-03-2009, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Hi skibee11, I'm pretty sure you can upload them in the sub-forum a few slots down, its named bonsai pictures...a picture would help, also some more information, do you know the species of tree it is, how often do you water it, is it kept inside or outside...sounds like maybe a fungal infection...but a pic will help, if you can't upload them there, let me know and I'll give you my email address...Welcome to the forum
Old 10-05-2009, 04:00 PM

Hi corcor,

It's a ficus, I've had it for two years (and never had any problem), I water it one or two times a week, and it sits inside usually by the window to get natural sunlight. Someone on another forum suggested root rot, which is most likely the case, as its roots were really soft when we uprooted the plant. Is there any hope for revival/survival, or is it pretty much a goner?
Old 10-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Root rot huh, could be the case, and if it has moved up the tree, chances are it's a goner. If you saw black slimey roots, thats root rot. And if the branches are showing black, it probably has moved up. If there is any non-infected part of the tree you can take cuttings incase it doesn't make it. I would advise you to re-pot, only this time remove all the rotted roots, ficus are generally good about sprouting roots. Once you do this, make a dome for it, get like a stick or something to put in the pot, needs to be taller than the tree. Put a clear plastic trash bag over the stick and secure this to the pot, making like a mini green house. Be sure to give it some water before putting the bag on, and the stick should be keeping the plastic off the tree, take the bag off for a few hours every other day to keep it from moulding...cross your fingers and hope for the best